Mercury Ins.

Office (714) 993-2115
Fax (714) 577-6907




Frequently Asked Questions


Q:  Does paying off my vehicle loan decrease the cost of my insurance premium?

A:  In short, No.  Paying off the vehicle does give the policy holder the option to drop the comprehensive and collision coverage from that vehicle due to a bank not requiring the coverage to satisfy the loan agreement. 

Q:  If I call in my payment or pay online am I charged a fee? 

A:  Generally there is no additional fee for paying over the phone or online, but you should check with your agent or insurance company to be sure. 

Q:  What is the difference between a captive insurance agent and an independent insurance agent?

A:  A captive agent is an agent who works for only one company and is “captive” of that company.  A captive agent will sell policies only for that insurer.  An independent agent is one who works as an agent for a variety of different insurers.  An independent agent can produce policies from several insurers and offer some comparisons of different insurance policies.

Q:  Does my personal auto coverage extend to a rental car?

A:  In most circumstances your personal auto coverage will extend to a vehicle rented and driven in the United States as long as it is like, kind and quality to the vehicles listed on your policy.  If you rent a vehicle in a foreign country your personal auto policy will NOT cover you.  If you rent a commercial vehicle (moving truck, box van, etc.) your personal auto policy will NOT cover you.  When renting an RV most companies will allow you add coverage for that time period to your personal auto policy (contact your agent/company for details before you rent an RV).  When paying for a rental car with a credit card most credit card companies will provide coverage (contact your credit card company for details).  Contact your agent/company before you rent a vehicle, so that you can decide whether or not you must purchase additional coverage.

Q:  What is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage? 

A:  If you are injured as a result of an accident caused by a driver who does not have insurance, Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage will pay for your medical and hospital bills and other related expenses.  If you have health insurance, some of these expenses may be covered, but you would still be responsible for deductibles and co-payments.  If you have no health insurance coverage or have selected a high deductible plan, you will be responsible of all or most of your expenses.  Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage works the same way.  If you are injured by a driver who has insurance, but your injuries are greater than the amount of insurance they purchased, your own policy will pay your unpaid medical bills up to the amount of UIM coverage you chose to purchase (minus the amount the driver’s insurance pays).  The Collision Deductible Waiver (CDW) will waive your collision deductible and your insurance company will pay to fix your damaged vehicle if the other party is not insured.  Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) covers your car if it’s damaged by an uninsured driver and you have not purchased Collision coverage for your own vehicle (a maximum limit paid to fix your vehicle applies to this coverage).

Q:  What do I do if I am in an accident? 

A:  You need to exchange personal and insurance information with the person(s) involved in the accident.  Write down names, phone numbers (work/home/cell), license plate numbers, driver’s license numbers, insurance company names and policy numbers.  Make sure you take down witness information as well.  You may want to take pictures of the accident scene and damage to the vehicles and other personal property if you have a camera/camera phone.  If there is bodily injury, call the police and ambulance if necessary.  As soon as you can, call your insurance company and give them the details of the claim.  If you believe you are not at-fault you may consider calling the other parties insurance company and submitting the claim with them as well.


Please Note:  The information contained on this website is provided solely as a source of general information and resource.  It is not a statement of contract and coverage may not apply in all areas or circumstances.  For a complete description of the coverage, always read the insurance policy, including all endorsements.